Fried zucchini is one of the best ways to deal with the fast-growing zucchini from your garden.
Skillet Fried Zucchini
My family loves fried zucchini. The zucchini is dipped into an egg wash, then into finely crushed crackers, and fried to golden perfection.
- 1 zucchini large or 3 small 1-1 1/2" diameter ones
- 2 eggs large, beaten
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers
- 1/4 cup cooking oil enough to cover the skillet bottom
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 200ºF and turn off. (Used to keep the fried zucchini slices warm.)
- Pare and slice the zucchini into 1/4" slices.
- Crush the soda crackers by placing them in a large zippered bag and rolling with a rolling pin or crushing them with your hands. The finer the crackers are crushed, the better the breading will coat the slices.
- Pour oil in skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Place the cracker crumbs and eggs into individual breading pans.
- Dip the slices into the egg and then the cracker crumbs.
- Place the breaded slices into the hot skillet. Take care not to crowd the slices.
- Fry until the top of the slices become moist, and the bottom side is golden brown. Turn and fry until the brown, and a fork easily pierces the zucchini.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined platter. Place platter in a previously warmed oven to keep the slices warm while frying the remaining slices.
- Continue working in batches until all slices are fried.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.