Skillet Fried Zucchini
- 1 zucchini large or 3 small 1-1 1/2" diameter ones
- 2 eggs, large, beaten
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers
- 1/4 cup cooking oil (enough to cover the skillet bottom)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 200ºF and turn off. (Used to keep fried slices warm.)
- Pare and slice the zucchini into 1/4" slices.
- Crush the soda crackers by placing them in a large zippered bag and rolling with a rolling pin or crushing them with your hands. The finer the crackers, the better the breading will coat the slices.
- Pour oil in skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Place the cracker crumbs and eggs into individual breading pans.
- Dip the slices into the egg and then the cracker crumbs.
- Place the breaded slices into the hot skillet. Take care not to crowd the slices.
- Fry until the top of the slices become moist and the bottom side is golden brown. Turn and fry until the brown and a fork easily pierces the zucchini.
- Remove to a paper towel lined platter. Place platter in previously warmed oven to keep the slices warm while frying the remaining slices.
- Continue working in batches until all slices are fried.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.