Pasta Fazool (Pasta e Fagioli) Lunch
This pasta fazool soup started as a quick lunch Pasta e Fagioli soup. Then, I remembered that I had leftover taco meat.
Because I added the taco meat, I switched my cheese to a Taco Blend.
If you don’t choose to use taco meat in your soup, I recommend and Italian Blend of cheese or Parmesan topping.Print
Pasta Fazool is an Italian soup with beans and pasta. Some cooks prepare it plain or with sausage. Since we had some leftover taco meat, my soup took on a Mexican flare. With or without meat, this soup makes a great lunch or dinner appetizer.
This recipe yields about 4 cups of soup.
Can of mixed vegetables (drained)
1/2 cup of Creamette Ready Cut Spaghetti or other small pasta
Can of Hunt’s Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
Vegetable or chicken broth or stock-maybe 1/2 cup-Just used to keep pasta covered with liquid.
1 cup of prepared taco meat or sausage
A small amount of either Mexican, Taco, or Italian Blend shredded cheese for topping.
- Cook pasta according to box directions. 1/2 cup of dry pasta is ample for this pot of soup. Set aside
- Heat tomatoes and vegetables in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling.
- If using meat, add the prepared meat now and blend.
- Add the pasta and stir the soup until well blended.
- If needed, add the broth/stock to the mixture to ensure that the pasta is covered and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese on top.
I added about a teaspoon of sugar to my soup. (I always add sugar to chili, too).
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pasta Fazool