My first marriage family introduced me to the New Year’s Eve tradition of Italian bagna cauda with cream and fresh raw vegetables and Italian bread. A great dip or fondue for any celebration.
This dip is a fun party appetizer. You will find the classic oil version of Italian Bagna Cauda served at the Wine Garden during the annual Labor Day weekend Little Italy Festival in Clinton, Indiana. The best Italian bread & breadsticks are at the Clinton, Indiana, IGA.
Also, my Fried Zucchini would make a great dip accompaniment.
I recommend you fix both oil and my cream version at your next event.
Bagna Cauda with Cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sticks butter
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tins anchovies in oil small
- 1 5 oz can tuna-drained optional
- 1 pint heavy cream
Used for dipping
- Italian Bread
- any other vegetable cut up will work
- Melt butter with the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook until tender. Add the anchovies to the butter mixture. I use a potato masher and mash the anchovies. Cook a few minutes.
- Add the tuna to the mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add the heavy cream to the skillet and heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Serve in small hot bowls for use with the dipping ingredients. Almost any fresh raw vegetable goes well with bagna cauda.