Meatloaf made right is comfort food at it’s best. My mother made her meatloaf with fresh crumbled up bread. I have always used either old fashioned oats or bread crumbs. Whichever method you choose, your family will love your meatloaf.
A meatloaf sandwich makes a convenient lunchbox treat.Print
Serve this tasty meatloaf with mashed potatoes. When you feel the need for comfort food, meatloaf does the trick.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chili sauce or catsup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats or 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, and add onion, garlic, basil, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook the mixture until the onions are softened-about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, stir in onion mixture, chili sauce or catsup, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley.
- Crumble beef into the bowl and add in the rolled oats or bread crumbs. Gently mix until evenly combined.
- Press the meatloaf mixture lightly into a 9″ x 5″ inch loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 170 degrees F.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain pan juices, turn out onto a plate and cut into thick slices.
Drizzle either ketchup/brown sugar or BBQ sauce on top of the meatloaf before it bakes for a tasty bite.
Variation: Use only 1 pound of ground beef and add 1/2 pound mild Italian Sweet Sausage.
Keywords: meatloaf, ground beef, comfort food