This post contains affiliate links. For more information read my Disclosure.
Lap Robe–What is it?Whether you call it a lapghan, lap robe, or lap blanket, you will agree that they are very comfy and cozy. Now, you can make your own in any or all of these 7 crafts.
Definition of lap robe by Merriam-Webster Dictionary
“ A covering (such as a blanket) for the legs, lap, and feet especially of a passenger in a car or carriage.”
For me, a lap robe or lapghan is what I cozy up with while working on my iPad or laptop, or watching TV. I love to have my legs and feet covered. If large enough, they can be used as stadium blankets when you go to your favorite cold weather outdoor sport. I also keep one in the car. But, they also are appreciated by persons in wheelchairs, nursing homes, and senior centers. In this area of the country, several quilt groups are making quilts for Veterans. A lap robe might be crochet, knitted, sewn, woven or quilted. Blankets come in all sizes to suit a particular purpose. When you search Google for “lap blanket size chart,” there is a multitude of charts available.
A Sampling of Lap Robes (Something for Everyone)
1. CrochetLap Throw by Red Heart Yarns One Jumbo Skein of Red Heart Super Saver is all you need to crochet this throw. The Skill Level is Easy.
2. KnitBold and Bright Lapghan by Julie Hines for Red Heart This blanket is knit in garter stitch squares and pieced together.
3. No SewNo-Sew Fleece Blanket with Braided Edge by Cutesy Crafts. Using two one-yard pieces of fleece, you can make this braided edge lap blanket.
4. QuiltFree Lap Quilt Patterns by Ludlow Quilt and Sew From the UK, these free lap quilt patterns are designed to give you a simple and easy way to make a quilt that could be tucked around your lap when you are reading or watching television.
5. SewDIY Throw Blanket Tutorial by Making Lemonade Sew a double-sided blanket using two thick flannel fabrics.
6. Up-cycledUp-cycled Sweater Quilt from Made By Barb Using a three-thread serger, Barb pieced 9″ square sweater pieces into this Up-cycled Sweater Quilt.
7. WovenHanna Blanket Weaving Kits by The Woolery
Blanket Kits include warp and weft with Swedish blanket wool. Makes a 48″ x 60″ blanket (42″ x 54″ after finishing). A double-weave blanket suited either to a multi-harness loom or a rigid heddle loom with two heddles. The Kit includes instructions for weaving and finishing.Weaving Looms-Which One is Right for You
Now, which one of these lap robes that are smaller than a blanket are you going to make?